Saturday 5 December 2009

My Worst Haircut Ever, For 70p

Having freshly arrived in Quillabamba, I decided that my shaggy hair was suitably unprofessional and decided to dive into a hairdressers across from the local market to sharpen up my act. Pleasently surprised by the price of 3.50 nuevo soles (about 70p) I decided to commit. I sat in the chair and, without warning, my hairdresser launched at my head.

Unperturbed, I decided not to issue any instructions, to see of what the hairdresser was capable. In brief, this consisted of taking random secions of my dry hair off the side of my head, shaving random patches around the back and sides of my head and neck with a cutthroat razor weilded with enthusiasm,before finally drenching my head in water and combing my hair into a style that was decidedly 1950´s, a bit like his.

Lou watched the whole thing from the sidelines, smirking as the masterpiece took shape, before snapping the photo below; a catalogue moment, I'm sure you'll agree. In all fairness the hairdresser and his family (as well as a temporarily assembled audience) were all very sweet, and there's no one by whom I would have rather had my hair mangled.

Quillabamba, Peru
5th December 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment